Most of the teams in the league have had their first game and now have either a win or a loss under their belt.
Which is pretty awesome.
We could be bitter and angry at the NHL for locking us out. We could. But we just can't. We waited too long for games and we are just so freaking happy that it's back. So don't mind us in our honeymoon period with the NHL. It's just so beautiful here.
Here are some news updates that we think are interesting:
- There are new rules in effect now and there were two examples of new penalties that happened during the Penguins/Rangers game yesterday.
One is a new face-off rule that the player taking the face-off cannot use their hand to bat the puck until a third player (from either team) has done it. It's called a 'delay of game: faceoff infraction'. Sounds weird to us but what do we know?
The other penalty being called now is a smothering the puck rule. But we've been griping about that for a few years now. We hate when players will lay on/grab a puck in the defensive zone. Pet peeve of ours.
- Tomas Holmstrom will announce his retirement on Tuesday. It's a sad day for many Red Wings fans. They're losing everyone left and right. We're pretty sure Holmstrom retired because he couldn't go to the rink everyday without Nick Lidstrom. It hurt too much.
- The Kings lost defenseman Matt Greene for the remainder of the season with a back injury. This is bad news bears for them.
- Scott Cullen has a bunch of observations from the first weekend of the season so give it a whirl and let us know what you noticed about the start of the season.
- Also, NHL.com has some fantasy hockey advice for those that are in a pool.
We've been wondering, are any of you in fantasy leagues this season? We didn't do one just because it was such short notice and most everyone we know had teams already.
If you are, who did you pick that you think as a great choice? Or the prudent choice? Or a rookie you think is gonna break out? Let us know your thoughts on the players you think are gonna make a difference in either the NHL or for your fantasy team.
Also, we have a picture-heavy recap of the weekend's games after the cut so click if you dare...
The Kings had their banner raising on Saturday and it was pretty awesome and emotional.
aw baby Huberdeau, look how happy he is to be playing...its adorable
Scott Stevens: still badass even in retirement
fat Rick Nash as a Ranger...still doesn't seem real
omg seriously, don't be too excited that you scored your first NHL goal son
so much drama up in Montreal...not really news
same in Ottawa
uh, excuse you Mr. Lindback...who do you think you are?
Tarasenko: celebrates his first NHL goal like you should
uh, when did he become a Jet? jeez, we forgot everything
Marc Staal still makes the best faces
oh Dan Ellis, we were wondering what happened to you and OMG JbabyStaal, we forgot you were in Carolina, oops that's a lie, we remember
doesn't it look like Sedin is laughing at Getzlaf's lack of hair?
and we heard someone talk about the 'new-look Caps'...well, they weren't joking
he definitely has a pretty face
this lineup is still so strange to see
wow, captain...somehow we forgot again
Jagr and Whitney in Big D...still going at 85 years old
nooooooooooo, this makes it real
he might overtake the red-headed Staal as 'best NHL face' with that frowny-face
bbCaptain and underratedCaptain in one picture